Friday 19 August 2011

Thoughts from the Night Shift Part I

I won't go into why it's been over 14 months since I last blogged... reading my last entry just now has made me realise how much has changed in a year. It's 3.04am GMT. I'm writing this. And I'm working!! Yes - working. A proper job. An employed job. I'm at home. It's dark. It's silent... apart from the rather dysfunctional rooster outside who has decided it's sunrise, and crowed for 10 minutes. I'm hoping the badger might have found him and gobbled him up; I was worried he'd wake the children...
You may be wondering what work I might be doing at such an un-Godly hour. Well let me tell you. I am a 'Moderator' and I am working my weekly night shift looking after the highbrow BBC website message boards, blogs etc. I also moderate the rather more lowbrow HSN blogs, complaints and user submitted content. So on one hand it's Peston's latest blog getting a hammering by Joe Public who obviously knows best; and on the other it's Yanks expressing their love for tacky jewellery with matching 'pants'. What can I say - I love my job. I really do - even the night shift. I never dread it. I am so fortunate to have a flexible, employed job which fits around my children. And I'm not stuffing envelopes. I'm using my brain. I'm part of a team. I'm valued (probably more by my employers than my kids!)
So what about my kids.... well now aged 5 and 2 they are both totally joyful and hideous all at the same time. Hard work, demanding, argumentative, rude, aggressive, arrogant..... yet bright, brilliant, endearing and charming, all at once.
I think this shift might double up as my blogging time so I'm hoping to become a regular blogger once again. Until day-break!....

No comments: