Thursday 4 December 2008

All I want for Christmas....

Boo hiss. This credit crunch lark is really starting to bite. I don't think I would have noticed it if I was still a working girl in London (not that kind of working girl!)... gloriously single, selfish, affluent, well groomed, didn't know the meaning of the word tired... but now with kids, a husband and extended family to think about buying presents for, you really start to notice the pinch. Not to mention mortgages, credit cards - and bank charges. My fucking bank took £300 in charges last month... it left me skint, crying, depressed, anxious and seriously pissed off for weeks - I still haven't got over it in case you are wondering. When you work all the precious hours you can muster, in and around being a full time mother of a toddler, and being a full time housewife, and then half of what you earned goes up in smoke, into some Lloyds effing Bank fat cat's bonus pocket, it really grates. That money was set aside to pay for an old loan payment and also finish off my Christmas shopping... Which is now still waiting, sat on a wish list on amazon.co.uk. This month isn't much better, although one good thing is our mortgage which thankfully has come down considerably. But no matter how much money you make or save, you hardly notice it - you just notice that it always goes straight back out of your bank account. Who actually manages to save any money at the moment?

So it's got me thinking about what is important this Christmas. And actually it's not the presents, although I want to treat my daughter to a few Peppa Pig bits and pieces. It's about my family, my immediate family being together. It's about good will, fun, sharing and caring. It's about watching The Snowman and the Christmas Eastenders. And then it's about looking to 2009, how I can improve our situation financially. I think I will apply for more work and really knuckle down and get more coming in. That will be my New Years resolution... So it's all about positivity, checking reality and hoping that things will get better. But for now everything is fine. Gone are the gluttonous Christmases of late, which is no bad thing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely post! It was totally shit about your charges. The banks are all shit bags though... Sooner rob you and leave you for dead than have any discretion. I'd change banks if I were you! Sounds like they're robbing you blind!

But you're right about Christmas. I love reading your posts, as I can really relate to what you write!

Anonymous said...

OMG I can totally relate to those bank charges. Last month they did exactly the same thing to me. I racked up $400 worth of bank charges which they refused to recredit. Technically my fault,i suppose, but being a single mum, 9 month old and various shenanigans going on with the F.O.B. I'm not always on top of things. They didn't cut me any slack at all. Just money up in smoke - poof! I hate them. The banks are bastards, you could change banks but IMHO they are all the same.

Manic Mother said...

I was so f*cking angry!!! And so tearful - complete frustration, anger and helplessness. They don't take any personal circumstances into consideration - it's a bloody miracle I earn anything at all.. I have lodged a complaint and we'll see where it takes me. Nowhere probably but I'll keep you posted.