Sunday 14 December 2008

A Tragic Day...

Things have been really great lately. Busy, bright, fun and easy going. Money is tight but we're okay. Life is sweet.
Saturday morning comes and the 'phone rings. My husband answers it and by his voice I know it's for me. It sounds like my mum from the way my husband talks about the weather and doesn't swear. He passes the handset to me, but it's not my mother - it's my father. My father NEVER calls me - Never. Unless I've forgotten my mother's birthday when he's ringing to bollock me. I know instantly that something isn't right and my brain starts whirring through possibilities -what have I forgotten? What might I have said that has pissed someone off and hurt them? But I can't think. Then he tells me that he's got bad news. My uncle died last night. My heart instantly fills with sadness for my father - his younger brother - his soulmate - his partner in crime when they were kids. What must it be like to lose a brother? My dad is strong and quite matter of fact and even tries a bit of humour to lighten the conversation. But I'm just so sad for him and for my older brother who was so close to my uncle. For my aunt - who woke to find her husband cold and lifeless beside her in bed on Saturday morning. For their grandchildren - who will never get to taste his delicious cooking and explore his amazing mind. I'm just so sad. And I regret that he never met my daughter. You always regret the things you don't do, rather than the things you do, don't you?
I wonder where he has gone now. I hope it is somewhere nice. Where he will be happy and restful finally. It feels like a light has gone out; I just hope that one is illuminated somewhere further on his journey.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear your sad news :(